Fedora Vendor/Distribution Information (Wiki/Project idea)

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jul 31 00:47:50 UTC 2005

I wanted to throw out the idea of setting up a spot on the wiki to
provide information about distribution of Fedora, particularly expanding
upon information for distributors.  At current, there are no
readily-available guidelines for OEM companies who are interested in
distributing Fedora Core.  There also isn't much information for
companies interested in preparing and selling Fedora in packaged forms.
Working for an OEM vendor, I know this kind of thing is sought after.  I
would like to change things.

I propose http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution be used to provide
information about obtaining and distributing Fedora Core.  I would like
it to be a resource for both companies and end users.  For companies, it
can provide guides and guidelines for the legal distribution of Fedora
Core in assorted media formats, including pre-installed systems.  For
the end user, it can provide information on how to properly obtain,
install, or upgrade Fedora Core, including how to find vendors locally
or online.  It would be nice to provide a page to list local vendors.
Currently, the vendor list at f.r.c is limited to online vendors.

At least for now, this section would largely be linking to the disparate
resources on f.r.c and in the wiki.  This section could be linked with
the Fedora Marketing Project, and with smaller projects like the LiveCD
effort.  It could provide a central point to tie these various aspects
of Fedora distribution together.  It might be nice to back this effort
up with a mailing list et al.  Providing a framework for vendors to
introduce themselves and request listings would be a must.

I'd love any feedback on this idea.  If there are no real objections,
I'd love to get this started.

I've sent this message to both fedora-devel-list and
fedora-marketing-list to field the opinions of all who this most
immediately concerns.  For those of you who subscribe to both, I
apologize for the duplication.  Further discussion should probably be
directed at fedora-marketing-list.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com