Fedora Vendor/Distribution Information (Wiki/Project idea)

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jul 31 09:22:00 UTC 2005

Alex Maier wrote:

>Doesn't this section already provide the information you are talking about?
>http://fedora.redhat.com/download/vendors.html
>
>However, I think it would make sense to duplicate this information in the Wiki.
>
>On 7/31/05, Patrick Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com> wrote:
>

>>I wanted to throw out the idea of setting up a spot on the wiki to
>>provide information about distribution of Fedora, particularly expanding
>>upon information for distributors.  At current, there are no
>>readily-available guidelines for OEM companies who are interested in
>>distributing Fedora Core.  There also isn't much information for
>>companies interested in preparing and selling Fedora in packaged forms.
>>Working for an OEM vendor, I know this kind of thing is sought after.  I
>>would like to change things.
>>
>>I propose http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution be used to provide
>>information about obtaining and distributing Fedora Core.  I would like
>>it to be a resource for both companies and end users.  For companies, it
>>can provide guides and guidelines for the legal distribution of Fedora
>>Core in assorted media formats, including pre-installed systems.  For
>>the end user, it can provide information on how to properly obtain,
>>install, or upgrade Fedora Core, including how to find vendors locally
>>or online.  It would be nice to provide a page to list local vendors.
>>Currently, the vendor list at f.r.c is limited to online vendors.
>>
>>At least for now, this section would largely be linking to the disparate
>>resources on f.r.c and in the wiki.  This section could be linked with
>>the Fedora Marketing Project, and with smaller projects like the LiveCD
>>effort.  It could provide a central point to tie these various aspects
>>of Fedora distribution together.  It might be nice to back this effort
>>up with a mailing list et al.  Providing a framework for vendors to
>>introduce themselves and request listings would be a must.
>>
>>I'd love any feedback on this idea.  If there are no real objections,
>>I'd love to get this started.
>>
>>I've sent this message to both fedora-devel-list and
>>fedora-marketing-list to field the opinions of all who this most
>>immediately concerns.  For those of you who subscribe to both, I
>>apologize for the duplication.  Further discussion should probably be
>>directed at fedora-marketing-list.
>>
>>--
>>Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
>>nman64 at n-man.com
>>
>>www.n-man.com
>>--
>>

>>--

The URL you pointed out provides only very limited information, and
lists only online vendors.  It is far from the kind of comprehensive
information often sought by OEM distributors and local vendors.  My goal
is not to duplicate the information that is already available, my goal
is to add to it and to interconnect the variety of resources related to
the project's distribution.  The best example of a similar project that
I am aware of is the OpenOffice.org distribution information.  The idea
is to provide more extensive support to vendors, and to bring vendors
and users together.  Providing consistency among vendors with regard to
Fedora will help build Fedora's name and reputation, as well as provide
greater ease and less confusion for users.

My ideas also extend beyond just distributors, as I would like to also
connect users to information regarding the various ways they can get
Fedora.  It would be nice to provide one clear source for information on
obtaining Fedora, no matter what media the person is after.  A person
might visit the site thinking the only way they can get Fedora is by
downloading ISO images.  Upon arriving at the site, they could be
presented with options to purchase CDs online, find a local distributor,
learn about efforts like the LiveCD project, use BitTorrent, or even
conducting Internet or network installations after downloading just a
small ISO image.  The idea is about bringing the information together,
and expanding with information that might not yet be written, or which
might only be available to those who can read through mountains of
technical information to get the job done.

The overall goal is to provide a unified source of information for the
many ways one can procure Fedora, and what options one has when
redistributing Fedora, as well as best practices and common pitfalls in
doing so.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com