Fedora Vendor/Distribution Information (Wiki/Project idea)

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jul 31 16:58:18 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>On 7/31/05, Patrick Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com> wrote:
>

>>The URL you pointed out provides only very limited information, and
>>lists only online vendors.  It is far from the kind of comprehensive
>>information often sought by OEM distributors and local vendors.
>>

>So let me get this straight... you want a fedora website, to list
>business information about distributors who have absolutely no online
>information?  I'm not sure that makes a hell of a lot of sense. It's
>very easy to get a static url hosted somewhere with contact
>information.  What are you going to suggest instead of a url... the
>street address?  "Fedora Core Cds $5, Joe's Apartment, E. 128th St.
>NYC"   But first things first... show me an example of a distributor
>who is selling fedora install media who has absolutely no contact
>information on the web.  Let's see if we can't get them on the exist
>list instead of inventing a new list.  I think you are making some
>assumptions about how flexible the existing vendor list is. Perhaps
>when the list was created noone gave a thought to url-less
>distributors because quite frankly it seems very logical that someone
>who was distributing fedora would have a url, advertising they were
>distributing fedora. So just give me one example of a local
>distributor that has no contant url, and we can work from there to get
>them listed.
>

>>It would be nice to provide one clear source for information on
>>obtaining Fedora, no matter what media the person is after.  A person
>>might visit the site thinking the only way they can get Fedora is by
>>downloading ISO images.  Upon arriving at the site, they could be
>>presented with options to purchase CDs online, find a local distributor,
>>learn about efforts like the LiveCD project, use BitTorrent, or even
>>conducting Internet or network installations after downloading just a
>>small ISO image.
>>

>pretty sure there is going to be some disagreement as to whether or
>not its worthwhile to recommend inexperienced users to attempt to do
>an internet install.  While it is technically possible, it also has
>additional risks due to volatility of the network.... doubly so during
>release week when the mirrors are hammered. I don't see any advantage
>in encouraging novice users into attempting an install method that we
>know runs a higher risk of undiagnosable problems.  Network installs
>from a local network are covered in the install guide I believe. And
>how about we hold off on talking about the livecd until we actually
>have a livecd.
>
>-jef
>
>--

The vendor listing that is currently up doesn't list local distributors
that you can potentially drive to in order to purchase media.  It lists
only vendors who sell and ship Fedora online.  I do not want to list
just anyone who says they'll provide Fedora CDs, but I would like to
provide people with a listing of places where they can actually
physically go to and pick up a copy of Fedora, as well as potentially
find local support or someone who will sell them a system with Fedora
pre-installed.  I would say that a web presence is still required, but a
vendor might not necessarily sell Fedora online and ship CDs.  It would
be nice just to provide these kinds of information to people.  I would
personally love to know what computer shops in my area I can visit and
expect to find Fedora at.  Even better would be a local shop selling
other Fedora-related merchandise.  I'd love to pick up a mug and a good
book while I'm at it.

As far as recommending Internet installs, I am not saying this could
only cater to inexperienced users.  It would just be detailing the
numerous ways one can acquire and install Fedora.  Even a talented user
might not be aware of just how many ways Fedora can be installed, and in
some cases an Internet install is just what someone needs.  The idea is
to make sure people are aware of their options.  As far as talking about
the LiveCD, that's just me thinking of the future.  If you really want a
better idea of what I am thinking, check out what OpenOffice.org has.
It is pretty close to what I have in mind.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com