Attention, Interest, Decision, Action

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Tue Jun 28 07:03:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 11:27 -0400, Jeremy Hogan wrote:
> 1a)What is Fedora?1b)Who is it for? (Today).

Yes.

> Answered partly on the homepage nicely:
>
> "The Fedora Project is an open source project

No. That's the Fedora Project. Not Fedora the distro. Which isn't being
marketed at all.

> Developers, hobbyists,
> enthusiasts, professional IT interested in the future direction of
> RHEL, etc.

Sounds like a good audience.
I'd add the 'Linux curious'  to that space.

> 2)Who else is in that space?
>

> Only SuSE is built this way (community feeding and fed by a big
> publicly held sugare daddy with a large install base, and market cap
> of 3-5Billion.

Is Suse really that community fed? From discussion here, I'd say Ubuntu
is the distro closest to Fedora - both distros aim for the 'ordinary
person who may or may not have unix experience' market without the whole
'not being Unix' of Lindows. Community based, but with some corporate
backing, tho Canonical is tiny compared to Red Hat.

> And you can add more Ubuntu-esque users. If Fedora definition
> were to stretch from "proving ground for Red Hat" to "proving ground
> for Linux Innovation" or similar, then you can add small IT companies,
> tech savvy internal IT staff, and even an eco system of VARs for
> SMB/SME -- *cough cough* -- I mean people deploying and supporting it
> for others. And the verbage invites spin-off projects. (Still seen as
> to Red Hat's benefit).

Indeed. Many folk use Fedora in this space already - they're happy with
the 2 years of community support.

Mike