Getting down to business

Chris Negus cnegus at mwt.net
Wed Jun 1 14:44:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:05 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> As Fedora continues to become more and more real, it's clearly time to
> figure out what role the Fedora marketing team needs to play.  There will,
> of course, be some issues to be negotiated around what the Fedora
> marketing team can and cannot do based on Red Hat policy -- but:
> a. There's plenty of things that a Fedora marketing team *can* do, now;
> b. Fedora marketing should be pushing Red Hat to help define those limits.

I'd like to offer my help. I certainly don't have a good feel for the
total scope of what Fedora marketing should be doing. However, I was
thinking recently about gathering up information on:

* What Fedora is
* When Fedora is appropriate as opposed to RHEL
* How can someone get involved with the project:
     As someone using Fedora (user, admin, programmer)
     As someone packaging their software for Fedora
     As someone who has other skills to offer (writer, marketer, etc.)

By putting this together in the form of a presentation, I was thinking
that it would help us all sing from the same sheet music (so to speak).
Also, busy people wouldn't have to start from scratch if they just
wanted to give a talk on Fedora to the local LUG.

I also think that it's possible to have a story about what Fedora is
that is respectful of Red Hat Inc. and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Clarity
will help everyone, I believe. Thoughts?

-- Chris Negus