Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jun 18 12:02:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 21:19 +1000, Mike MacCana wrote:
> Hrishikesh Ballal wrote:
>
> >But if you have any suggestions,
> >comments brickbats on it please feel free to reply.
> >
> My first post to the list.
>
> Basically, marketing the Fedora project is a bad idea. Or at least, not
> an immediate concern.
> Very few people care about the project. Those that wish to contribute
> are either part of the project already, or existing Fedora users that
> have decided to contribute and know where to go.

Based on the questions I get from folks about how to contribute, I'm
fairly certain you're very wrong. Moreover, for various and sundry
reasons we need to make fedoraproject.org more interesting and
consistent website. If only b/c the project pages can have much more
flexibility than the fedora.redhat.com pages.

> A good example of sucessful OSS marketing is Firefox. When you visit
> mozilla.org or getfirefox.com, what dop you see?
>
> Is the front page taken up by stuff about the mozilla project, and how
> to contribute to it? Maybe even making no mention that it's a web
> browser, like fedora.redhat.com talks primarily describes fedora as an
> 'OSS project' rather than an actual linux distro?

And that's fine - fedora.redhat.com should be about
downloading/installing/using and could easily have a link to
fedoraproject.org for developer information and additional community
info.

Remember - fedora is not just about red hat.

-sv