Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Sat Jun 18 12:50:40 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:

>>"The Fedora Project is an open source project sponsored by Red Hat and
>>supported by the Fedora community. It is also a proving ground for new
>>technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is
>>not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc."
>>
>>So far readers don't know:
>>- That Fedora is a Linux distro, or an Operating System
>>- Why it's good
>>- Where to get it
>>- Where to get help for it
>>
>>They do know:
>>- That its Open Source
>>- That stuff in it may end up in RHEL
>>- That it is not supported by Red Hat
>>
>>Given this, are you sure fedora.redhat.com is currently focused towards
>>end users?
>>

>Pretty positive that we can't change the front page of fedora.redhat.com
>w/o an act of law. :)
>
>The front page is off limits w/o approval from 7 of 9 rings of red hat's
>internal hell.

I figured as much - I have an internal account and doing my own job can
be hard :^).

I propose: getfedora.org or similar for users (based around the idea
that there's a much larger audience among people that don't already run
Linux than that do).

Making a mock up is simple and I hereby volunteer to do so, provided
somebody promises to listen to me and host it somewhere should I manage
to convince them.

And fedoraproject.org for developers.

Mike