Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 12:14:11 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, Mike MacCana <mikem at cyber.com.au> wrote:
> I disagree. And I think more people feel like contributing to successful
> products - ie, ones with lots of users.

I think fedora has lots of users. Should I go get stats as to the
number of completed downloads from the torrent?

> Most contributors got into Linux as users.
Which came first the contributor or the user....

I still don't think I've seen you define which segment of the userbase
you are trying to target...specifically. I am personally wary of
actively encourage novice linux users to use fedora, because of the
rate of change and leading edge nature of the distribution.  I'd
rather underpromise than overpromise with any expectation to the
experience novice users are going to have.  I do not think fedora is
the best choice for every novice linux users on the planet and I don't
we to see any aggressive campaign to try to accomplish that very large
scale migration.

-jef