Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 20:33:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 13:59 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/23/05, Tom Adelstein <adelste at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Remember that Ubuntu was released in November, 2004.
>
> I remember... which is why im very interested in statistically
> credible data that is open for review.  I am not interested in the
> executive summary conclusions of privately funded studies. I think the
> linux community at large (not just the fedora community)  deserves the
> right to verify the data and the conclusions drawn from it.  I'm sure
> ubuntu users would enjoy the chance to datamine and draw their own
> conclusions. Its called peer review.. its how this whole open
> collaboration process is suppose to work.
>
> -jef

That's an interesting and almost compelling statement of why you want
our research studies. The data exists and you can use the same sampling
techniques, interview the same people, sign the same contracts, write
the whitepapers and sell your services to the same people we do.

I'm not here representing Ubuntu or OpenSolaris or anyone. I considered
contributing to this project. But after sitting back and watching, I
don't see any way you will accomplish anything. First because you are
not supportable and definitely not coachable.

An old Hindu statement put into modern terms goes something like this:

Do you know the difference between a jerk and an enlightened person? No.

OK. A jerk doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. An
enlightened person doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground but
he knows it.

You chaps don't know it and it might not matter if you did because you
are not comfortable in the space of "not knowing" and being willing to
see what's out there without dragging your conclusions, beliefs,
rationalizations, excuses and all that mental crap into everything.

I gave you a very succinct and clear example of a community that's
working and you ask for my credentials and scatter charts. Jerks.
Reactive, thoughtless jerks living in a pretense of knowledge.

Go look for yourself.