Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 20:54:57 UTC 2005

On 6/23/05, Tom Adelstein <adelste at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I gave you a very succinct and clear example of a community that's
> working and you ask for my credentials and scatter charts. Jerks.
> Reactive, thoughtless jerks living in a pretense of knowledge.

The name calling isn't constructive. I am extremely aware that there
are lessons to be learned from ubuntu. The combination of foresight,
charity and entrepreneurial skill that has come together in Mr.
Shuttleworth is a rare set of traits. I'm sure there are lessons to be
learned from a number of projects.  So far I'm not sure you have given
me any new information that i wasn't already thinking about.

I'm sure everyone who considers themselves a contributor to the Fedora
project wishes Ubuntu and other distribution endeavors much success.
I can't speak for anyone else but I believe that that no one
distribution idea is really going to 'win'.. its not even about
'winning'. Its about building a commons of ideas, an ecosystem of
linux solutions, where all sorts of wacky ideas get tried and the good
ones cross-pollinate into the wider ecosystem.
Ubuntu's fresh start on how to approach community is one of those good
ideas. No one is blind to it, we don't have to be beat over the head
and be called jerks to see your points.  You have valid points.. but
man, there is very little community in how you present your views
about how to build community.   Its deeply ironic really.  You are the
best and worst example of what open community dialog can be.  In one
breath you wax eloquent about what a better community model could be..
and with the next you berate the rest of us in this conversation for
not knowing anything. This is now how you build a better community.
You do not inspire anyone to listen to your ideas or to give you
authority in setting direction by browbeating or demeaning others for
their ignorance.  You are a broken spirit and I'm not sure you have
the patience to mentor, to teach or to lead in a community setting.

-jef