Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

W. Guy Thomas mrguytx at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 24 01:30:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 20:09 -0400, Jeremy Hogan wrote:

> On 6/23/05, Tom Adelstein <adelste at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > That's an interesting and almost compelling statement of why you want
> > our research studies. The data exists
>
> Where? Is it public?
>
> > and you can use the same sampling
> > techniques
>
> Which were? Are those publicly available?
>
> > interview the same people, sign the same contracts, write
> > the whitepapers and sell your services to the same people we do.
>
> This is off point. Wasn't your point that we reject ideas and
> information? I've seen nothing but requests for the information. I
> know who you are, and so does Google. And I don't question your
> credentials. You don't need them if you have the data.
>
> > I'm not here representing Ubuntu or OpenSolaris or anyone. I considered
> > contributing to this project. But after sitting back and watching, I
> > don't see any way you will accomplish anything.
>
> The good news about an open community is that the door swings both
> ways. You are free to watch it flame from afar, and then everyone on
> this thread will know that you told us so. You will have those
> credentials to us.
>
> >First because you are
> > not supportable and definitely not coachable.
>
> I could walk into any forum, except Utopiabuntu I guess, and level
> that same compaint. First I need to find one full of people who have
> been waiting so long for this, that they have cut to the chase and
> can't take anymore vague or (so far) unsibstantiated statements of
> purpose or direction.
>
> > Do you know the difference between a jerk and an enlightened person? No.
>
> Oh, I think I know this one. It's a trick question. The jerk is the
> one who calls an entire list full of people he's never met, spoken to,
> or seen a post from jerks - based on a couple of posts he may have
> misunderstood?
>
> Or should I scold you for even asking me such a question? How dare you
> doubt my knowledge of asses and holes!
>
> > OK. A jerk doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. An
> > enlightened person doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground but
> > he knows it.
>
> I know neither where this thread's ass (the data) is or the whole in
> the ground (the research techniques). So I can't tell them apart, but
> at least I know it. I still feel like there's something to be learned
> if we find either.
>
> > You chaps don't know it and it might not matter if you did because you
> > are not comfortable in the space of "not knowing" and being willing to
> > see what's out there without dragging your conclusions, beliefs,
> > rationalizations, excuses and all that mental crap into everything.
>
> I saw several requests for the numbers, which I didn't take as
> questioning the validity. But I know a bit about Jef and Seth, so I
> know they care more about the facts than the conjecture.  You have to
> have seen the same funded studies we've seen, and you know like we
> know that data can be spun.

> [...]

my goodness, my first day here, but I understand this is a little out of
the ordinary for this list.
one thing I would have to point out is that Ubuntu is about the fastest
branded product on the market since like the 30's or something, I don't
have the stats here...

anyway, unless we coalesce and find direction then we are twisting in
the wind.
Fedora has a huge user base, but I know personally of many defections to
Ubuntu in the last few weeks, just from friends of mine, so it's not a
broad sample, but I believe indicative.

I will start a new thread introducing myself in a few minutes, but I
wanted to comment on this, my first fedora-marketing list reception.

thanks.

W. Guy Thomas <mrguytx at austin.rr.com>