Logos: everybody wants one but nobody seems to have any constructive comments. (was Re: Cool Fedora schwag idea)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:32:25 UTC 2005

On 6/28/05, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> Come on, how can we do cool pins without a logo?

Joke mascots aside..... people like to complain about a lack of a
logo.. but nobody is making a serious attempt at either creating a set
of design contraints as to what any contributing artist is suppose to
be aiming for or contributing potential artwork for feedback.

Scapegoat was my small technical nuke attempt at jump starting
CONSTRUCTIVE discussion about wtf a logo is actually suppose to look
like for this project. At the very least i expected to see discussion
about "scapegoat can't work as a logo.. its too busy for a baseball
cap or small graphic sizes"

A logo would be nice.. but until the people who are complaining about
a lack of one actually pony up some reasonable discussion as to the
design to guide any artists.. its absolutely POINTLESS to talk about
it like its something important to get done. So from now on. I expect
anyone who wants to bring up the subject to aim their comments at
either specific design points to shoot for... or offering up drafts of
a logo for review.  If i see another "a logo would be good post"
without constructive comment to move the discussion forward.. I will
be doing the mailinglist equivalent of ripping out your spleen.

So on that note... here is my somewhat less humorous attempt at a
draft for a reusable logo.
http://jef.is-a-geek.com/path3079.png
http://jef.is-a-geek.com/Fedora-Logos.png
the idea being a re-usable style motif, the path3079.png is more
stylized example of where i think this can go.  Its rough, but the
sytle i'm going for here is meant to feel like a blowing flag effect.
The bottom of the letters are pretty close to the effect I'm going for
but I need to continue that upward into the top of the letters.

The idea is you can interchange the C for Core  the E for extras the L
for legacy  the F for foundation. While keeping the first F nearly the
same. Should work well on paper materials or even a letterman jacket.
I'm not sure if this design has space for cross-branding.
Scapegoat on the other hand... has lots of room for crossbranding via
another earring.

Clearly people already have "blue" associated with fedora.  The C is
red because well... Core is Red hat controlled.   Legacy has a green
thing going on already. And Extras.. i have no idea wtf to do about
extras coloring scheming so its a place holder for now.

-jef"desperately hoping a serious artist makes an attempt at appeasing
the people who wont shutup about needing a logo"spaleta