Wow. Welcome back for me. :)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jun 30 17:19:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 10:35:18AM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > working on a new bugzilla-based package submission process, which should
> > help, but someone needs to make sure that valuable contributions aren't
> > just ignored without any comment.
> This isn't a marketing issue; it's an execution issue for the Fedora
> Extras team.

It may not be a *promotional* issue, like the letter jackets and the pins
and the hats and the balloons, but it *is* a marketing issue. As someone
said earlier, Fedora marketing should be based in honesty. If we want to
market the Fedora project to potential contributors, we *can't* just be
ignoring people after they jump through all sorts of hoops to actually try
to help.

Working to make the project match what the intended audience really needs is
essential. If you're trying to market to "a few thousand knowledgeable
advocates", the *best* thing do to is make their contributions feel valuable
and wanted. This is *far* more powerful than "swag" and other gimmicks.