Fedora Logo: Modifications and a new one

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 00:27:14 UTC 2005

F is freedom is a cool idea. Here are my thoughts about the current
proposal:

It's too clever.

Infinite freedom is a clever concept, which requires some explanation.
("Why doesn't it let me play my mp3s and DVDs - where's the freedom to
do what I want?")

The idea of combining the f for Fedora and freedom with the infinity
symbol by twisting it onto its side is clever, but it requires even more
explanation. Especially since the infinity symbol (not widely known
outside geek circles) is rotated at a 45 degree angle, drastically
reducing its intelligibility even for those who would otherwise
recognize it.

The Nike logo doesn't require an explanation: it's obviously a swoosh.

The Ubuntu logo doesn't require an explanation: it's obviously about
community and solidarity.

The current Fedora proposal is not visually clear, bold and striking,
it's confusing. The symbolism and its significance are obscure.

It's too clever.

When you look at it the two elements of f and infinity compete with each
other. Your mind is trying to figure out what it's looking at.

What we're doing there is creating a new composite symbol. The symbolism
of infinity is distorted through rotation and the symbolism of both the
f and infinity are further abstracted through superimposition. The
effect of compositing these symbols in this way is to reduce the
intelligibility of both of them. The elements have been destroyed
through combination and the symbol has to stand alone as a composite.

But as a symbol in it's own right it's not particularly powerful. Take
away the preconceived "infinite freedom" association and look at it as a
brand mark from a purely visceral first sight gut response angle. I
don't think it flies. It relies on too many steps and too much
familiarity with the process that lead to its creation to be intelligible.

While the outer form is bold and clear, it's internally complicated.

 I bet if we did a test where we flashed these three logos - Nike,
Ubuntu and Fedora in front of people for ten seconds, they would have
difficulty drawing or even recalling the Fedora one. It's too clever.

What I think would be a lot clearer, if we are going to stay with this
whole concept, is "f to the power of infinity" in that same speech
bubble type thing. It clearly communicates the f and the infinity and
people are not going to have to become initiated into the cult to be
able to grasp it.

--josh