Fedora Logo: Modifications and a new one

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 01:06:32 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Joshua Wulf <jwulf at redhat.com> wrote:
>  I bet if we did a test where we flashed these three logos - Nike,
> Ubuntu and Fedora in front of people for ten seconds, they would have
> difficulty drawing or even recalling the Fedora one. It's too clever.

Nope.. sorry you can't throw in nike's symbol at this point and call
the results of a focus group valid.  nike as a brand as way too much
recognition in popular culture, you aren't going to be able to
distinguish brand exposure and "obviousness."  But feel free to
contact a native tribe in the congo which hasn't had contact with
western culture and conduct your test.. just make sure you aren't
wearing nike's when you wander into their tribal grounds and that
there isn't in nike factory in the area exploiting the available human
capital.  Personally the ubuntu symbol looks like some sort of
biohazard sticker to me so chalk me up as a dissenting opinion on your
claim to obviousness on that point as well.

If you are serious about conducting focus group sessions I'm all for
it... just as long as the methodology is well described so the
experiment can be repeated and there is consensous that the approach
limits inherent bias.  Though i think such a focus group experiment
would be most useful if the goal was to qualify competing design
drafts for the fedora mark instead of doing what you propose. I find
very little worth comparing draft fedora logos to competing
trademarks. It doesn't help to know if the fedora draft is more
obvious or less obvious than pepsi's logo or HP's logo or even
ubuntu's logo.  If you are serious about this idea, what we need are 3
drafts for 3 different designs which all attempt to express the same
idea.

<general rant>
Look here's the deal... at the rate we are going.. its going to be a
frelling year before we get any logo blessed... if it takes that
long...waiting for a damn logo is pointless... we sure has hell better
be spinning up press material for the ambassadors to use well before a
year from now.  If it takes 2 release cycles to perfect the
logo...screw it.
</general rant>

-jef"You go to press with the logo you have.. not the logo you want."spaleta