Linux Desktop Pocket Guide

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 8 11:42:46 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 08.11.2005, 16:42 +0530 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:

> Orielly Linux Desktop Pocket Guide has a freely available chapter on
> Linux distributions with a breif introduction to Fedora and a comparison
> with a few others. Take a look at it.
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdesktoppr/index.html

Only took a quick look and noticed in Table 1-2 (Page 4(written) or
5(evince)) a footnode for Fedora that says:

> i386-compiled distributions will run just fine on Pentium and higher
> processors but might not be as optimized as they could be.

Could someone tell the author that this is not correct? This argument is
so old and still wrong -- someone with a deep  knowledge on the subject
should write down the truth* into the wiki so we can point people to it.

CU
thl

*that is afaik: Fedora is optimized for up to date processors like the
Pentium 4 but still compatible with i386 (hence the i386 in the postfix
in the rpmname). Compiling for i586 might even be slower than that was
fedora does.