For this weeks meeting agenda...

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Sep 11 06:03:51 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 23:37 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
>

>>I'd like to discuss:
>>FedoraMyths - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraMyths
>>

>You need to _expand_, _technically_ on these points.  Especially the
>filesystem comments.  Don't be general, be specific.
>
>E.g., ReiserFS does not support SELinux, ACLs and other extents well,
>let alone NFS and other core functionality/compatibility issues are a
>"show-stopper" for shipping in Fedora releases.  JFS suffers from much
>of the same compatibility.
>
>As far as XFS, be complementary given the fact that it _does_ have a lot
>of support -- equaling Ext3 in many areas -- but at this time, most
>people only consider the official SGI kernel releases to be of
>"production quality" and not the stock kernel implementation.
>
>Those are very sound facts.  If someone would like me to write the
>section, I can do so very _point-by-point_ in the focus of what Fedora
>(like Red Hat before) must have in a filesystem.

I don't know if that is really within the scope of this document.  We
could very easily write entire pages on some of the points (and indeed
we have) and trying to cram it all on this one page would result in a
massive document that goes far beyond what we really want to present
here.  On some of the points that require more elaboration, we can
redirect the users to more information, or write sub-pages of the
FedoraMyths page to hold the more in-depth information.  Please keep in
mind that many people will only be interested in one or two of the
points, and many novice users will be looking at this document.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com