Fedora Core 4 review: Educated new village boy!

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 05:33:02 UTC 2005

> On 9/14/05, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> > +1 to Jeff for your excellent knowledge of available documentation and
> > for recruiting for relnotes beat writers.  That's the stuff!
>
> Other than my..shall we say..defensive..use of the call for beat
> writers as a subtle variant of "put up or shut up"  is anyone else
> actually pounding the streets for people.. pressing the flesh? bashing
> heads? blackmailing? making grandiose and misleading promises?

I'm working on blackmail and head-bashing from within Red Hat.

Also, working on a few infrastructure details before making YAGeneral
call for release notes and beat writers.

Sub-project leaders need to be accountable and responsible for getting
the content into the designated locations (see below).  They can
delegate the responsibility to someone in their project to be the beat
writer.

The FDP is taking this content, editing it, converting it into single-
source XML, working with translation, packaging it into fedora-release,
and posting it on the Web.

> The beat writer stuff seems to be pretty reasonable sized chunks of
> responsibility. Where exactly do we hang the virtual "help wanted"
> sign to get as many eyeballs as possible looking over that last as
> possible?

I'm just about to make an announcement about this.  That we need more
than just some notes dropped into bugzilla, but actual ownership from
the projects.

We're going to open up content submissions to include the Wiki, with a
more open editing rule (have to create an account but don't require
EditGroup access.)  Hopefully we'll see more raw chunks of content made
available.  We'd see input from testers who might not otherwise mess
with the Wiki.

> How much does a Google text ad go for?  Cuz man.. how many fedora
> meatheads are like me.. and are using gmail for all this list
> traffic... can we actually find a way to get project help wanted
> adverts into their gmail interface?

Now that's a good idea.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide