Meeting minutes - 16/09/2005

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Thu Sep 15 22:48:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 17:19 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> > P.S. This logo looks nice and could look even nicer with outlining and
> > other tweaks but I don't think of Fedora when I see it or hear the
> > slogan.
>
> A good slogan should work the other way -- it should be something we
> aspire to, and having it as a slogan helps us maintain focus.  I'm not
> sure "infinite freedom" works toward that, but my impression is that we
> should be thinking more about the logo and wordmark in this discussion.

True -- but does the infinity sign have any meaning to Fedora without
that slogan?  OTOH, you sould argue that few logos represent something
about the product their marketing.  The analysis of how the logo came to
be may have thrown me into the wrong mode of thinking.

FWIW, I experimented with the logo a bit to see what some minor tweaking
might yield:

1) I stretched the speech bubble so it looked more like a speech bubble.
2) I turned the infinity sign more so it looked more like an infinity;
   hopefully without compromising the "f".
3) In order to make the "f" stand out more, I experimented with outlines
   and size.  In the attached rendition, the "f" has been shrunk a
   few pixels all around and more space inserted between the bar of the
   "f" and the infinity sign's cross bar.

I'm not a graphic designer but perhaps some of this is a good idea?

-Toshio