Fedora Core 4 review: Educated new village boy!

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 22:20:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 13:56 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 9/15/05, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> > We need to decide what goes above the fold for the release notes.  Is it
> > worth hacking on the XSL to get the ToC moved down a bit?  We could then
> > have really important stuff at the top:
>
> Maybe you missed my point. I do not subscribe to the theory that "the
> really important" stuff is garunteed to pull people in on a first
> glance.   If its meant to be a reference document.. then ToC comes
> first.  If its meant to be a grab your attention document...then
> you'll add the appropriate eye-catching cleverness to sucker punch the
> audience into reading the ToC as required.  Perhaps the National
> Inquirer approach.. "Elvis's alien love-child wants YOU to help with
> Fedora!"

At this point, not having the first thing they see be the legal
boilerplate is a major victory.

I understand where you are coming from, and sure, we can't get
everyone's attention without a TV commercial.

But a nice list of bullets that address very common problems or
introduce cool stuff, that's just plainly much better than what we've
had.

Something like this at the top of the page:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/#sn-splash

It needs to be reworked to bring a list of items to the top.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide