Meeting minutes - 16/09/2005

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Thu Sep 15 17:33:14 UTC 2005

> Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 02:01 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
> >Co
> >

> >> * Logo - First round at: http://www.capstrat.com/development/fedora/.
> >>Infinite freedom isn't decided as the slogan, but the general consensus
> >>is that the logo is loved. Concentrate on logo feedback today. Color can
> >>be fixed later (like Legacy or something)
> >>
> >>Is the 'f' too subtle? Do we need a name?
> >>

> >I think the f is far too subtle. The shirt design in particular will
> >confuse people. It needs to come with the name wherever possible.
> >
> >~spot
> >

> Tie it up infinitely with the slogan "Infinite Freedom" would fix that? ;-)

I dare you to use that slogan in front of an OpenBSD developer :)

More seriously, I think that making "free" or "open" the key word has
potential issues, because although they are important they aren't
distinctive attributes of Fedora - other groups have claims on them, and
attach differing meanings. Arguably they have become buzzwords, outside
of the communities involved.

Three different well-known systems (one is not Linux-based):

"a free operating system for your computer"

"a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from open
source software"

"free, secure, and highly portable open source operating system"

The idea of "doing the right thing" has come up recently, and perhaps
that might be another start point - it encompasses licensing, technical
aspects and community.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2005-September/msg00045.html

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA