Fedora International community websites

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Sep 21 18:09:50 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 21.09.2005, 13:29 -0400 schrieb Greg DeKoenigsberg:
> The only way this will work, IMHO:
>
> * Identify motivated bilingual folks;
> * Have these folks put watches on the whole (English+their-language)
> site;
> * Build parallel wiki sites that are identical in structure;
> * Charge these folks with the duties of
>   (a) Translating from English -> language_x
>   (b) AND translating back.
>
> The key challenge, of course, is finding these individuals.  Technically,
> it's not an insurmountable challenge.
>
> Any chance we can get hold of the people who rus fedorawiki.de and see if
> they'd be willing to run fp.o/wiki_de/ (or some such)?
>
> One motivated person, and a little bit of wiki tweakage, can give us a
> perfect test case.  Proof of concepts are everything with something like
> this.

I'll try to contact those and ask them if they are interested. But IMHO
the biggest problems see currently:

- What with content from the german wiki -- do we want to integrate it
in our current wiki? If yes:
-- What is legally allowed on http://www.fedoraproject.org ?
When the wiki was quite new I asked if it was okay to mention livna
stuff there. The answer was: Better not mention it. But now we have a
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DavidFarning/fedorafaq
in it that mentions livna and other things that might be problematic.
-- If the english written by people with a different mother tongue is to
horrible (like my english) -- are there people with good english skills
around that can fix it?
- I think without technical support in/around the wiki the content will
between the different languages will diverge soon. But maybe I'm wrong.
If people People maintaining the wiki send changes in the german version
back upward into the english version it might work.

BTW gregdk, your points above only concerned the wiki -- getting the
subdomains to a start on fedoraforum.org might be a lot easier. There
should be nearly nothing to translate.

BTW2, Who is behind http://www.fedorausers.org/ and are there
technically things planed to get this a multi-language site from the
start? Do wee need that web-page if we have the faq in the wiki?