fp.o translation volunteer

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Sep 27 01:12:26 UTC 2005

David Barzilay wrote:

>So, when can we start?
>
>Community is eager to have a user-focused space and tools.
>
>Looking forward to hear from you.
>
>Best,
>--
>David Barzilay
>Brazilian Portuguese
>Technical Translator
>Red Hat Asia-Pacific
>
>On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 03:40 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>

>>David Barzilay has graciously agreed to serve as the guinea pig for the
>>first fp.o translation: into Brazilian Portuguese.
>>
>>So.  Now need to decide how, exactly, we structure the translated wiki
>>pages.
>>
>>The simplest way: create language subsections.  That would mean, for
>>Brazilian Portuguese:
>>
>>  fp.o/wiki/Extras would be translated to fp.o/wiki/br/Extras

Do you mean 'fp.o/wiki/pt_BR/Extras'?  Shorthanding that kind of thing
is risky.  ;-)

>>It may not be the most elegant way, but it would probably get the job done
>>more quickly.
>>
>>I'm also open to better ideas -- but the quicker we can move, the quicker
>>we can take advantage of Mister Barzilay's good will.  :)
>>
>>--g

MoinMoin does have some built-in language smarts, but I'm not sure that
they would cover all of our needs, so I think the subsections may be a
better idea.  Translators will have to be careful in their link creation
since short links won't work.  (eg. 'WikiName' in pt_BR will always have
to be something like '[:pt_BR/WikiName: Title]' and never simply
'WikiName').  I don't see that being a huge issue, though.

As MoinMoin is currently configured, users who have their browsers set
to a language other than English won't get the same FrontPage.  They
will get the 'FrontPage' of their native language.  Virtually none of
those pages have been created.  The French form has, but it isn't much
more than a link to the regular Extras section.  Either way we go, we
can use those pages to direct international users to the appropriate
translations.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com