Fedora derivatives branding discussion

Andre Nogueira andre.nogueira.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 20:31:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

I think people are mixing several things, hence the confusion...

When talking about a "Fedora-based distro", there are actual three
possible things:

1) A distro which uses ONLY packages which are in Fedora's repository
(including Extras)

2) A distro which uses packages which are NOT in Fedora's repositories
(not even Extras), but all the packages it uses are free (as in
speech).

3) Same as 2), but uses proprietary packages (Macromedia Flash,
Acrobat Reader, MP3 codec, etc).

I believe everyone agrees that 1) is a Fedora-based distro, and that
3) could never be accepted because it uses proprietary software.
As such, we only have to discuss 2).

Regarding 2), there are two possible results:

1) Submit the packages to Fedora Extras, and problem solved

2) Allow the distro to be "Fedora-Based" even though the packages
aren't in Fedora Extras.

Seeing that it's free software we're talking about, I see no problem
in having to make them available in Extras - after all, the rest of
the community wins with this, because they can get them from there
too.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Andre