Fedora derivatives branding discussion

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 17:36:25 UTC 2006

Howdy folks,

The Fedora board needs help with a policy decision.

As Fedora evolves, we'll be seeing more and more custom distributions that
are spun from the Fedora Universe of packages.  Kadischi-based Live CDs
are a good example.  We'd like to be able to allow these distributions to
use the Fedora name -- and we've got tentative buy-in from legal to do it
-- so long as the distros are built entirely from Fedora (Core+Extras)
packages.

So.  How should the Fedora brand be used in such cases?

Let's say, for example, that Rex Dieter builds a minimal Fedora distro
that has KDE and no GNOME -- and he wants to call it "KDExcellent".  He
also wants people to know that it's derived from official Fedora packages.
Should we let him call it:

     + Fedora KDExcellent?
     + KDExcellent, based on Fedora?
     + KDExcellent, a Fedora distribution?

Whatever policy we come up with now, we'll be stuck with for quite a
while -- so we could use some help.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

--Max