[Fedora-marketing-list] Interesting Article

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 20 16:21:22 UTC 2006

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> In my opinion Ubuntu is more targeted towards the new users, it has
> many functions "dumbed" down for users, even if these
> "simplifications" come at the cost of security (sudo, anyone?), and it
> has also a large userbase because of this.

I wouldnt call sudo by default a big security tradeoff but we can do
better. See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-July/msg00814.html

Fedora on the other hand,
> is more targeted toward the "enthusiastic" users or "Linux power
> users" (without it being Debian).

That has been the case historically. I would like this to change.

  Also Ubuntu has a larger lifespan
> than Fedora, alas, (if I understand correctly)

For the usual Ubuntu releases, the life cycle is 1.5 years which is not
that different from Fedora especially when considering Fedora Legacy.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle