[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Interesting Article

Nicola Losito n.losito at yahoo.it
Mon Aug 21 15:12:59 UTC 2006

Il giorno 21/ago/06, alle ore 08:22, Nicu Buculei ha scritto:

> Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>> http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/06/
>> ubuntu_linux_a_threat_to_mac_o.html
>> Are we missing something? or how should I put am I missing something?
>> Is ubuntu that much better than fedora?  If it is why is it?

:-)
Something's in the air ... just few days ago I wrote on the
"exitement" derivating from a Linux distribution [1]

> From what I see, the most impressive feature in Ubuntu seems to be its
> hype making machine. Or should I say the fanboy recruiting machine?

As i've said in another mail today Ubuntu was started and it's been
developed to ATTRACT the common computer user to the free / open
source software side of things.
Each of their move has been made clear, easy to get, and "light" to
read. And this attracts people (as we all in the linux community has
witnessed in those last 2 years).

> This is a department where historically Fedora and Red Hat does not
> shine (even Novell is louder here).

Funny, "Reverend" Ted [2] commented to me that I was "correct that
Novell could be doing much better on this."

> I do not know to what degree this is intentional (maybe the desire
> to not create unfounded
> expectations), but it certainly fired back in the early days of
> Fedora. It seems to improve, but very slowly.

Well, after reading Max's interview on /. this can be seen as a
mistake from Red Hat's side at the time of the "splitting".

We do have to re-think to our "voice" on the Fedora .... Planet
Fedora is great, we should try to convert that energy into the wiki/
main site.

	c ya

[1] = http://koolinus.wordpress.com/2006/08/17/geek-buzz-and-real-world/
[2] = http://reverendted.wordpress.com/