[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: slashdot

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 22:11:41 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> >From yum's point of view, they are all defined as separate repositories. If
> you mean something different, it's confusing to use the same terminology --
> do you mean something like "package provider" or "vendor"?

Here is the crux of the problem... we are working with evolving
terminology which is being used to describe evolving technology and
structures.  Having 14 different repository definitions sitting in
several .repo files in the repo.d directory is not the problem.  The
problem is making it drop-dead easy for everyone who cares to know WHY
we have all those definitions, instead of having one pile-on
repository.  We need to make it so easy to understand why that even my
most hated and loathsome enemies, the technology reporter and
editors-in-chiefs of online 'news' sites about 'OS''s, can discovery
this information without being troubled with learning how to use
established online resources to ask questions of other human beings...
but I digress.

It needs to be clear to new users on the clientside why -testing  and
-debuginfo  and -devel are seperate and distinct entiries and why they
are provided but disabled.    Once you know what these repos do, and
you are a rationale person ( an assumption easily broken), informed
choices will be made regarding whether or not to enable them. And if
Fedora is to be about anything.. it should strive to be about informed
choice.

-jef