[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: [Ambassadors] Name for future Fedora distribition?

Steve Barnhart stb52988 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 19:36:22 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Diego Búrigo Zacarão <diegobz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm disagreement to names [debian/ubuntu]-likes. :P
> I think that we must have our own way to nominate the Fedora Releases.
> Something different... ;)
>
> Maybe:
> * Fedora Sever Linux 7
> * Fedora GDesktop Linux 7
> * Fedora KDesktop Linux 7
> * Fedora XFDesktop Linux 7

Unfortunately, I am in disagreement to your choice of names. Not only
is that confusing to many users, but how exact would you pronounce
that? If its actually pronouncing the letter and then desktop that
sounds dumb. There's no need to complicate things. Keep the entire
distribution Fedora and perhaps just keep counting up like we've been
doing or maybe what Gentoo does with the years, that's a good idea imo
also. So we could have either Fedora 7, Fedora Linux 7, or something
like Fedora 2007 and then .1 .2 etc.

Please don't complicate things or make even more stupid names that
sometimes parts of the OSS community are known for. KISS (keep it
simple stupid), and professional please.

> or something like that... but not the same way to the Debian/Ubuntu.
> A number for a Release I think better to identify it.
> ;)
>
> Regards
>

> On 12/1/06, Tejas Dinkar <tejasdinkar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006, Rahul Sundaram sent out 0.8K bytes to say:
> > > We can't realistically do this. After a few releases, it would be very
> > > difficult to remember the order of releases.
> >
> > How does debian/ubuntu name stuff?
> >
> > --

> Diego Búrigo Zacarão
> Linux User #402589