[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: [Ambassadors] Name for future Fedora distribition?

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Sun Dec 3 14:00:24 UTC 2006

Le vendredi 01 décembre 2006 à 14:36 -0500, Steve Barnhart a écrit :
> On 12/1/06, Diego Búrigo Zacarão <diegobz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm disagreement to names [debian/ubuntu]-likes. :P
> > I think that we must have our own way to nominate the Fedora Releases.
> > Something different... ;)
> >
> > Maybe:
> > * Fedora Sever Linux 7
> > * Fedora GDesktop Linux 7
> > * Fedora KDesktop Linux 7
> > * Fedora XFDesktop Linux 7
>
> Unfortunately, I am in disagreement to your choice of names. Not only
> is that confusing to many users, but how exact would you pronounce
> that? If its actually pronouncing the letter and then desktop that
> sounds dumb. There's no need to complicate things. Keep the entire
> distribution Fedora and perhaps just keep counting up like we've been
> doing or maybe what Gentoo does with the years, that's a good idea imo
> also. So we could have either Fedora 7, Fedora Linux 7, or something
> like Fedora 2007 and then .1 .2 etc.

We have a chance here : Fedora Core 7 will be out in 2007. What about
sticking to years now ? Fedora 8 will come out in 2008 ?
And name the releases according to it : Fedora Linux 7.1 for the spring
release and Fedora 7.2 for the autumn release.

What we can see in the fedora development is that it seems to have a
major release every year or so, followed by a more polished one.

FC2 was a polish release of FC1
FC4 ... FC3
FC6 ... FC5

Then we can expect FC7.1 being a major release, and FC7.2 being a polish
release.

--
Thomas Canniot
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ThomasCanniot