[Fedora-marketing-list] fedora legacy

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Dec 19 16:24:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Nicola Losito wrote:

> How comes that in these last days I've never heard a word about Fedora
> Legacy slow dying ?
>
> I think it's a great loss, that it will affect a not so little portion of
> audience and that will need some changing in the release cycle of ours future
> releases of Fedora.
>
> Am i the only one seeing this ?

The decision to terminate the official Fedora Legacy project was based on:

1. The decision to extend the lifespan of Fedora updates from 11 months to
13 months starting with FC6, thus allowing people to upgrade every two
releases instead of every single release;

2. The unfortunate fact that Fedora Legacy didn't have many volunteers,
and wasn't keeping up;

3. The emergence of CentOS as the distro of choice for most users who need
a longer update cycle than 13 months.

Not ideal -- but the community has the power to resurrect Legacy, if they
so choose.  Fedora Unity, for instance, could very well run their own
version of the Legacy project.  Realistically, though: without a
substantial number of Legacy volunteers, the Legacy project is just not
viable.  Especially when compared to CentOS.

--g