Idea: Fedora in Library

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:40:30 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,
I think im going to write a lot lol.
Ok an Ubuntu marketing agent told me about their idea of having Ubuntu
in Libraries.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuInLibraries
No, its not about installing Ubuntu in the computers but to lend Open
source cds to their subscribed users. Actually they copied it from
Openoffice.
http://www.openoffice.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/11838/Open%20Source%20CD%20in%20libraries%20Howto.pdf

Personally its a wonderful idea because having CDS in libraries will
affect the complete newbies mind set of fear towards linux.
Considering the fact that librairies is a body of trust.

This is mostly an activity done by the lug. Of course if we
ambassadors provide enough materials/translation to.

Im eager to do it right away in Strasbourg. But comparing to another
distros like ubuntu,suse,etc they already have enough materials in
their pocket. Example, live cds. I prefer to wait for Fedora to catch
up with materials.

Let's take for example, Fedora. If a lug happens to realise this
project. Among other distros we will only have handouts and Fedora
DVDs. Meanwhile students or anyone will prefer to give a try to live
cds, leaving Fedora behind. Saying that this particular live distro is
based on Fedora isn't enough for the complete newbies. It would rather
be useless. If someone tried the "official" fedora LIVE cd if he/she
likes it he/she can easily get the install DVD for free for their
local lug or lug ambassador or from the library directly.

Some testimonials:
http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/04/04/16/1923248.shtml?tid=137&tid=185&tid=215
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/12/15/193231.shtml?tid=146&tid=149&tid=99

Since in the last 3 meetings (see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Schedule ) we didn't really
progress in Emails, funds, Schwag because we are waiting for
additional info. I suggest we talk and plan about this idea. I know
ambassadors from India or Brazil will have alot to say :))

I know we (majority)ambassadors we only popped in during meetings
hours, talk and talk. This sounds like acting. Its time to move A55 :)
for REAL action.

Chitlesh GOORAH

--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com