development cycle (Was: Re: What's New in Fedora Core 5 Test2 (LWN): Some comments)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 30 09:25:48 UTC 2006

Hi!

Am Montag, den 30.01.2006, 05:23 +0530 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> [...]
> A few comments for more information. The switch to a prolonged
> development cycle for Fedora Core 5 was specific to this release

While we are at the topic already: This fact was badly communicated.
There seems to be a whole lot of confusion about the current Fedora
release cycle in the community -- for example the german
wikipedia-writers have a long discussion about it and nowhere can find a
*official* statement [*1] that the nine month cycle for FC5 was only a
exception:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskussion:Fedora_Core#6_Monate

It IMHO would be good if we would have a defined long term release cycle
just as Gnome has. And IMHO it should be in sync with gnome somehow
(just as Ubuntu has, too)[*2]. E.g. The plan for Fedora Core could be:
Always release two weeks after a major gnome release (this would be end
of March and end of September). Yeah, sometimes it could slip a week or
two if that is needed, but the plan for the version after that one
should not slip due to this.

Just my 2 cents.

CU
thl

[*1] -- yes, there must be a "nearly official" statement somewhere in
the archives of fedora-maintainers or fedora-devel -- I tried to find
it, but gave up after 10 minutes

[*2] -- Gnome releases every 6 month. RHEL releases round about every 18
Months, so a Fedora release every 6 month would probably fit with the
goals for Red Hat, too.