Fedora web site. The "I'm feeling lucky" test.

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Jun 7 13:42:16 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 05:17, Naoki <naoki at valuecommerce.com> wrote:
> Don't flame me, just making an observation and voicing an opinion ( and
> we all know about those ).
>
> I typed the following terms into google and hit "I'm feeling Lucky" and
> this is what I felt about the results..

> "fedora" - Without doubt the most disappointing, and least exciting
> result of the bunch.
>
> Of the fedora sites I tend to lean towards fedoraproject.org being the
> nicest, fedora.info coming in second, while fedora.us is down for me so
> I can't tell.
>
> I tend to think the same as Bill Hicks when it comes to marketing but it
> would be nice if Fedora was better represented.
>
> Is anybody working on perhaps improving the situation or would this be
> deemed low priority / unimportant ?

There's not too terribly much more we can do about this.  Google's results are
largely determined by their PageRank formulas a few other automated factors,
and the standing of results can change at any time.  fedora.redhat.com was
long the official Fedora website, and the migration to fedoraproject.org has
been slow in many regards.  As more people and websites begin pointing to
fedoraproject.org instead, that domain will rise in the results.  Having the
external references split between the two domains has a negative impact on
the standings of each.  If you want to help, the best thing you can do is
tell people to direct their links to the fedoraproject.org domain.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/