Fedora web site. The "I'm feeling lucky" test.

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 15:12:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Irving Bennett wrote:

> I believe Naoki was referring to the quality of the Fedora sites. The
> Fedora sites do not have nearly as much information and documentation as
> the other sites. We know that much of the excellent Redhat documentation
> applies to Fedora as well, but within the Fedora sites there is almost no
> documentation. For example, there is no "Fedora User Guide" in the Fedora
> sites. Also, if you take a look at Recent Changes in the Fedora Project
> site, most of the activity has to do with this group. There is very little
> activity in the "real information" area.
>
> As a long time Fedora user, I have often turned to other places to find
> information on how to run my Fedora Linux systems. Most often I turn to
> Redhat, or tldp.org. Very seldom do I find answers in fedora.redhat.com,
> or fedoraproject.com... The answer, of course, is that some of us have to
> pick up that ball, and run with it!

My $0.02:

People go to Google first, in just about every case.

RHEL developers, when they're trying to figure out something weird, put
their error messages straight into Google.

Newbies, when they're trying to figure out how to get MP3s to work on
Fedora, Google "Fedora MP3".

If we put the best information on fedoraproject.org, over time
fedoraproject.org will become the authoritative site.  That's just how it
will work.

--g