Fedora web site. The "I'm feeling lucky" test.

nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito suser.koolinus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 13:04:51 UTC 2006

Hi list,
on the wiki aspect of the Official Fedora site has to be given a serious
thinking.

I am coming from 6 months experience with openSUSE site, which is a wiki
driven one, and it's been difficoult to introduce and "keep up" running
many aspects of it.

Still i don't have understood completely the relations (legal and
commercial ones, at least) that we have between www.redhat.com ->
http://fedora.redhat.com -> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

When the roles are clearly defined we can successfully manage the last
2, and decide on localization in a way to gather local teams
effectively.

I find the Ubuntulinux.org site as an illuminating example to look at.
To me they've started from the beginning as a wiki but with a core team
being in control of the overall design, the core info, the official
announcements and the "official doc". Then there was a part given to
choosen people which coordinates reasonable portion of it and the
contribution that began to come in.

For the local sites i can take here the italian example, some started a
local wiki, with our own logo and color palette. Then two or three
prominent contributors became "the" local Lo-Co team reference for italy
to deal with the core group. It has been stated that the local site had
to look more and more similar to the Official one, and there is going
some (controlled) interaction on what happens to Ubuntu-Forum and the
wiki.

This way of proceeding has revealed to be successfull (look at the
number of arguments in both ubuntu forums/wiki).

The openSUSE experience was, for me - obviously, a bit frustrating since
there was and already strong but crystalized community around SUSE and
the openSUSE site has lacked to gather enough momentum around himself
(again too many times I've read "we're waiting for a Novell answer /
solution / whatever). That will be also the answer for Fedora ? I hope
not, since i've joined you again on the core 5 release (and the
discovery of the fedoraproject wiki).

To summon up. Maybe now with fedoraproject.org growing we should think
about the roles of "the wiki" and of "the site". The latter of which,
for me, is at the moment fedora.redhat.com.

Hope not being dull or boring. If so, excuse me, please.

		Ciao
--
nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito
http://koolinus.wordpress.com     http://www.koolinus.net

"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy."
Linux Registered User #293182