Providing patched DVDs to potential users

nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito suser.koolinus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 13:15:53 UTC 2006

Il giorno mer, 31/05/2006 alle 10.39 +1000, Rob Garth ha scritto:
> A generic install of FC5 requires hundreds of megs of patches once
> installed, a particular frustration of mine, and I am sure it  doesn't
> leave a good taste in the mouth of people trying out Fedora for the
> first time.

Just last week i had the occasion to try out the Fedora Unity Re-Spin of
FC5 for the i386 architecture [1]. {yes, i am a curious chimp}.

It was downloaded fast, nearly as a regular FC torrent.

The ISO was build on 23rd of May and announced around the 31st of the
same month. But still, after a clean install, workstation + software
develpment profile kind of installation, i had to install 227MB of
updates.

So for a home 56k user it still is useless, while for an *DSL one
between 227 or 400 there's no big difference, just a bunch of minutes.

Also, the 6 months release cicle is quite fast, so I don't feel this
urge of re-mastered ISO. Maybe we should look (instead) to something
near "patch.rpm" ... like the old SUSE way of distribution of core and
security updates, to decrease the amount of bandwidht needed to run a
(up 2 date) Linux box.

	Ciao,
		-nicola

[1] http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/unity-respin5-20060523
--
nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito
http://koolinus.wordpress.com     http://www.koolinus.net

"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy."
Linux Registered User #293182