Fedora Core 5 Test 3 Review

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Mar 13 08:31:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 01:09, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> I think i have a better proposal: install a stub plugin for GStreamer
> (just like the stub used in XMMS back then mp3 support was removed in
> the first time).
> This stub would show a window with a short message stating mp3 support
> is not available, recommending ogg and having two links: one to the
> ForbiddenItems page in the wiki and another to Fluendo, which offer a
> free and legal plugin for playing mp3 files (that plugin is not free
> enough to be included in the distro but free enough to be recommended).

GStreamer, as a backend, does not interact directly with a GUI.  We will not
be making such significant alterations as would be necessary to allow this,
as we cannot justify it with the problems it would create.  We will have to
provide dialogs on a per-application basis.

We are not going to point directly to anything that can't be included in the
distribution.  Even in cases where it is legal, that is contrary to our
stated goals, and creates complications we don't need.  This is why all of
our resources only point vaguely to third-party sites that provide such
information.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com