[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Press release for new Fedora 5

Francesco Ugolini francesco.ugolini at fedora.redhat.com
Sun Mar 12 23:06:37 UTC 2006

Going http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5PressRelease i've read that:

Anaconda, the Fedora Core installer, has been completely rewritten to
present a more streamlined interface that matches the new look and
feel of Fedora Core 5.
Fedora Core 5 also brings major advancements in software management
with the introduction of Pirut, a graphical interface to replace
system-config-packages. Pirut helps manage the large number of
software packages available in Fedora Core and Extras repositories.
The software package updater, Pup, helps users keep pace with
Fedora's rapid improvements.
For the first time, all of Fedora Core's tools for software
installation and management share the same strong foundation: the
package management utility Yum. This tight integration will lead to
dramatic improvements in software management in future Fedora releases.

Linux Unified Key Support (LUKS) provides hard disk encryption
support in Fedora Core 5; David Zeuthen of Red Hat, the HAL developer
and maintainer, worked on the LUKS integration with HAL and GNOME,
finishing just in time for the new Fedora Core release. Hard disk
encryption provides one of the best physical security solutions --
protection of your data if your hard disk falls into the wrong hands.