Fedora Core 5 Test 3 Review

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Mar 13 13:10:53 UTC 2006

Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Patrick Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com>, spake thus:
>

>>We are not going to point directly to anything that can't be included in the
>>distribution.  Even in cases where it is legal, that is contrary to our
>>stated goals, and creates complications we don't need.  This is why all of
>>our resources only point vaguely to third-party sites that provide such
>>information.
>

> Do you have a URL for the dreaded mp3 license that is the root of all
> this evil?

Here: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
(Thomson/Fraunhofer is the patent holder).

Note: Fluendo people have payed for the license and they freely
distribute a decoder: https://shop.fluendo.com/. The Fluendo plugin
can't be included in the distro, but you as an end user can legally
download and install it, no matter in which part of the word you live
(as opposed to the well known Lame, which may be not legal everywhere).

--
nicu
my hats collection: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/hats/