[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora LiveCD build#002

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 15:16:18 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> You can't limit the spread of the LiveCD and a tag on it stating "Test3"
> will not be enough.

I absolutely agree that labeling a release of anything a test release
will never be enough to prevent a segment of the userbase from
downloading it mistakenly. But i very strongly disagree that this is a
problem worth worrying about. I think its more important to move
forward with livecd development as quickly as possible then to protect
those users who are so stupid they miss the fact that its a test
release.

Document its test status, make it visually obvious at install time
that its a test release... use a different mechanism for releasing
than the official releases (ie not on the offcial fedora torrent
server)....and let the buyer beware.

This isn't a particularly dissimilar situation have happened in the
past when the 64bit and ppc versions of fedora was in "beta." when
core cut an official release.  You have to remember that the 64bit and
ppc trees started as unofficial release trees which had their own
development timeline before finally becoming an official tree with a
synced release.

-jef"I'm the pope of the fedora religion, and I like wearing funny hats"spaleta