Inquiry - General marketing questions from a student of international business

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 19:09:58 UTC 2006

I will respond to some questions, as most of them were answered by the
great post by Tejas. and BTW, no offense taken--direct questions are
the best!

On 3/23/06, Patrick Windt <paddy.windt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just feel fascinated by the task of marketeers in the Fedora community.
> Although you are not a commercial distribution, I should believe that even
> the marketing department has some goals to obtain? For example; get review
> in 5 magazines a month, or get so many registered fedora users, or so many
> downloads....

Nope, we do not have any set goals, and we do not have a structure to
enforce them. Whatever the community does, is great, and a good thing
is that there are thousands of people out there who each contribute
whatever little resources they can spare, and together we achieve the
impact you see.

> Finally, is the marketing "department" of the fedora community in contact
> with the creators/developers?

Yes, by all means. As we are not a commercial organization, but a
group of volunteers, many of us "moonlight" as developers or vice
versa. We have email lists to which anyone can subscribe, such as
fedora-marketing list, and on these lists everyone can submit their
input.

We also have a wiki, on which our projects and sub-projects keep their
information for the whole world to review and comment on.

This is how we ensure that information flows freely between the
projects within Fedora, as well as between the project itself and the
rest of the world :)

Now if I may ask you a question--in what project are you going to use
the information about Fedora? Is there any way you might be interested
in contributing?

Thank you,
Alex

--