Fedora Media Project (was: Re: New Member introduction)

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 30 00:31:28 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Jeremy Hogan <jeremy.hogan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's a neat idea. Along the lines of what Magnatune does in allowing
> you to pay back whatever you want the artist to have over the price.
>
> At the very least, you could have the media listed here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
> and explain that you were  distributing some of  what you could be charging
> in mark-up back to the community that created it.  Perhaps you could just
> statically set the price such that for every purchased copy, another one was
> available to Free Media or under the SponsoredMedia project, and make a
> pretty simple and powerful move. You'd be able to fulfill the on demand
> orders as an OnlineMedia provider, and spool up the donation fund to be able
> to queue up, etc. I forget the pricing in your example, but IIRC you could
> just set that as the price, and a $12 DVD would fetch a copy for the buyer
> and another for free.
>
> Word would travel pretty fast in a one for one deal like that, and any other
> vendor is still free to pony up support the way you have, and no one is
> given special treatment.
>
> --jeremy

This is getting *very* interesting. :)
Question. Has anyone seen a video by Prof. Nicholas P. Negroponte who
is leading a OLPC   (One Laptop Per Child) Project? If you haven't,
here is your chance:
http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/313/
In the video, he explains how this program works to bring down the
initial cost of $100 to $90, $80, $50, $25 and eventually $0.
Do you see my point? Do you see how this new project might be end up? :)
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung