LAN Welche

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Fri Mar 31 14:07:08 UTC 2006

If your starting goal is to introduce them to OpenSource, you may have
to break the sales process up into baby steps.  Find someplace between
where they are now and where you'd like them to be (Fedora).

Think about getting a foot in the door and then being invited back.
Every successive visit brings you closer to the desired outcome.

I'd disagree when you say that they may have a 'don't touch' attitude
about FOSS.  After all, they're interested enough to bring you out - Yes?

Your audience in this case is ripe for things that are free.  Not only
are they more open to the ideals of FOSS, but more importantly 18 year
olds aren't known for their financial stability.

My best advice for the group would be to get them with what they're
looking for - GAMES.  Live discs are also good - PCLinuxOS has a new DVD
SuperGamer out.  Wolvix has Games Edition (CD).  There's also Knoppix
Games (DVD).

Get them hooked on FOSS and Linux... then talk with them about Fedora.
It's perfectly acceptable to say you don't use those distros and answer
their questions with Fedora.

Is that helpful, or should I prepare for a stoning?
~Karlie