Turning off Paid Adverts for Sponsored Media

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 3 03:16:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 15:02 +1200, Michael J. Knox wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Is the DVD distribution feeding the free media project?
> >
> > DVD distribution is feeding the events currently. There isnt value in it
> > though. The budget is better spend on other things that Red Hat is
> > strategically better placed to do rather than get into the media
> > distribution model again. Thats Red Hat Linux all over.
>
> So that's a no to RH helping free media?

If you mean free media project specifically, I am trying to help it out
through regional offices where possible rather than the US office
distributing media from a central location. Again, the cost of
distribution is much more producing stuff.

I dont think its Red Hat involved in free media is a scalable model and
I would want others to get involved in it more than RH. We are multiple
ways to address the distribution problem effectively.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/

Downloads
OEM
Online vendors
Local vendors
Free media
sponsored media
OEM
Books and magazines

For any amount of finite budget, we are trying to spend it where it
makes better sense. How many people think Red Hat should be spending the
money on free media distribution? Let me see a show of hands.

> > How about buying media?
> >

> http://www.copyleft.co.nz/fedora.html ($35 NZD per DVD)
>
> and
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz - the only have FC3 AFAIK