Fedora Board chair looks ahead

Marc Wiriadisastra marc.w at smlintl.com.au
Thu May 25 02:47:31 UTC 2006

> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 10:11 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> > > No, no switch being discussed -- that was just the author's conclusion
> > > based on my quote.  I can see how he would think that, but it wasn't what
> > > I was trying to suggest at all.
> > >
> > > Overall, I was pleased with the article.  I thought it was very well done.
> > >
> > > --Max
> > >
> > *offtopic*
> > One of the things I read through maybe into it was that people were
> > discussing different views of voting.
> >
> > I would have thought that the contributors as in not me but other people
> > who have significantly contributed to the project should vote but aside
> > from that other people shouldn't.
> >
> > My thoughts are based on the fact that commitment is showing in
> > contribution.  However grey areas such as myself is the annoying
> > thing :(
> >
> > It's quite interesting from someone that is not involved in the
> > discussions to see how it turns out.
>
> The current thinking is that for Fedora Extras Steering committee, the
> ones in the owners list and cvsextras group in the accounts system would
> be eligible for voting since they have contributed atleast one package
> to the Fedora pool. Does that address your concern?

I thought about just having that however I suppose I would like to see a
wider spectrum of people on the board.  What I mean by this is that say
you have a representative from marketing, docs, triage and the other
aspects.

I nominate you :)

While the package devs are important that's only one piece of the puzzle
so to speak.  As I said I'm not 100% sure on what I'm trying to get
across but a 'balanced' board where a few people are able to contribute
feedback.

I'm sure this will be worked out anyway but yeah just a thought from my
side.
> > *offtopic*
> >
> > Is there a chance of having different members of the board speaking
> > publicly?  What I mean by this is having them with all their free
> > time /sarcasm spend a few moments in putting a path in words of where
> > fedora is heading?
> >
> > I quite like reading articles from leading people in the open source
> > community where they talk about whats up and coming and how they are
> > dealing with it.
> >
> > It seems like several *points* can be made. 1. Marketing their distro.
> > 2. Advising the community what someones view is on future changes.
> >
> > Overall I liked it as well but by the end of the article it left me with
> > a huge number of questions.
>
> You might get some insight from the Fedora Board meeting mins at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings. Some of us do write
> articles thought this one isnt necessarily the kind of thing you are
> looking for
>
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/018apr06/features/fc5_overview/
>

> Rahul
>
> --

Reading some of the board meetings from that link.  I would have to
agree with what was said in May basically how to get more transparency
to upcoming things.  I suppose thats what I'm trying to get at.

The write up is great but I would like to see I suppose what we are
trying to achieve type of thing.

What makes it hard is the fact that its all separate projects and we are
talking about combining everything.

I suppose in that article on osforge it was mentioned that within the
next year Max would like to see such and such.  While you can see that
in board meetings or ascertain what the future is to bring, it would be
great to create a talking point out in the community of what the future
holds.

I know what I'm saying is confusing and that Max and other
representatives are busy, I suppose getting some form of information to
flow in an article type situation out to people gives people ideas of
what is going on.

Not so much package A or package B but like conceptual type things.  I
know me personally I found that article brilliant more for the fact of
the sections in Revising Development methods and the section lessons
from other communities.  Seeing what is trying to be achieved.

I'll leave it alone after this post cause I don't seem to be explaining
myself properly. Hopefully I've put across what I would like to see how
it can be done I have no idea yet.  I suppose just getting people to say
I have this vision of the next Fedora or we are working on this and
it'll probably take a year to get to.

Regards,

Marc