Fedora Board chair looks ahead

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu May 25 13:36:45 UTC 2006

> I suppose in that article on osforge it was mentioned that within the
> next year Max would like to see such and such.  While you can see that
> in board meetings or ascertain what the future is to bring, it would be
> great to create a talking point out in the community of what the future
> holds.
>
> I know what I'm saying is confusing and that Max and other
> representatives are busy, I suppose getting some form of information to
> flow in an article type situation out to people gives people ideas of
> what is going on.

I completely understand what you are saying.  I will work hard to continue
to give transparency to the work that is happening at the Board level, and
also to make it as easy as possible for *everyone* to have a good picture
of what the larger goals are.

In terms of your other point of publicity, here's the more or less
official line:

We get a few interview requests from time to time.  The ones that come
directly to Red Hat usually are directed to me, and I have a
responsibility to respond to those requests and give interviews, which is
something that I enjoy -- though it's funny to read my own quotes
afterward and see how they are interpreted.

As for the other Board members -- not all of them want to speak publicly
in interviews, etc. -- and that's ok with me.  I don't expect that they
all will, but I hope that those who want to speak publicly will do so.
They're free to repsond to interview requests, give interviews, etc.

We've all got a common message that we're trying to spread when we speak
publicly about Fedora.  And that message should come out *regardless* of
who is doing the speaking.  However, aside from that, I think it's
incredibly interesting to hear the different perspectives that various
Fedora folks have on topics.

I could spend my whole day talking about Fedora and open source ideals
with people -- that's a good use of *some* of my time but it would be a
poor use of *all* of my time, as I would soon be fired for not
accomplishing anything else!

That's where the community comes in -- the rest of the Board, the
Ambassadors, and you guys.

--Max

--
Max Spevack