New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Sat May 27 16:41:11 UTC 2006

> From: Gain Paolo Mureddu :

> I understand about this, but the problem is that printing houses don't.
> They mostly use PMS and especially down here (Mexico City) it is a
> problem.

As someone that has been both a buyer of printing services and a
provider of printing services, the printer does not drive the accuracy
of color reproduction, the designer does. Some designers are willing to
accept what color accuracy a given printer provides by default. It is
my opinion that is a terrible thing to do. The print buyer is in a
position to refuse a job if color accuracy is not  acceptable. The
tools used are not an excuse for poor project management.

> Even Adobe native formats have problems

I have never personally had a problem with the native formats of Adobe
graphic tools in over 16 years using them.

> as most print houses
> use Corel tools.

That is unfortunate, Corel tools are considered second rate in the
graphics industry for a reason. That is not to say you can't do good
design with Corel tools, or that they always cause problems. It is more
difficult to get consistent work from Corel tools in my experience.

> Inkscape 0.43-3.fc5, x86_64.
>
> The infinity symbol freshly opened, I get the following values (from
> RGBA to Hex):
> Background (bubble)
>
> RGBA: 5 43 97 255
> HSL: 152 230 51 255
> CYMK: 97 55 0 62 100
> Hex: 002b61ff
>
> Infinity symbol:
>
> RGBA: 10 87 164 255
> HSL: 149 226 87 255
> CYMK: 95 48 0 36 100
> Hex: 0856a4ff
>
> Freedom "f":
>
> RGBA: 255 255 255 255
> HSL: 0 0 255 255
> CYMK: 0 0 0 100
> Hex: ffffffff

Hmm, interesting. I know that Inkscape pulls in a color management
library when it is installed, perhaps there is a difference in the
configuration of that system between our two computers. I don't have
the time to research that right now.

> Still I found have some questions
> about background color and the symbol... As I noticed in the default
> splash screen, boot screen and wallpaper: The infinity symbol has both
> highlight and a white border to prevent it be lost in the darker blue
> background.

This is a separate issue from the format in which the logo is supplied.

> My question would be: For darker backgrounds, could we add a
> light/white border to better outline the symbol so it won't be lost and
> keep deffinition? That would be editing the symbol, true, but it would
> also make it more visible (or simply visible).

Doing that is technically against the usage guide. That is why I would
like to have only certain backgrounds be acceptable. Alternatively, it
should be specified how to handle backgrounds that can make the logo
unreadable, or a special logo that has a white outline or glow
built-in.

>> Those are binary structures ( CDATA ) that are used instead of ( or in
>> addition to ) the SVG when the file is re-opened in Illustrator.
>> If you use a text editor to cut out those entries, InkScape is still
>> happy.
> But that would be editing the original files, which I thought was
> strictly forbidden by the guidelines...

Yes, I mentioned that not to suggest you do that, but to illustrate
that the CDATA is not a necessary part of the file to maintain its
compatibility with the SVG spec.

> let those who
> control the graphics politics for Fedora, handle this, remove those
> extra instructions, and may be provide two versions of the files: One
> in
> native Adobe format, and one in "pure" SVG format.

Yes, I agree. Because the SVG was created in a way that included a
significant amount of data extraneous to the SVG specification, it
would be better for that file to be "cleaned up" for distribution.
Native program files would be a good idea too, as well as formats that
are better for some other common use cases, like EPS for print.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265