New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sun May 28 06:59:12 UTC 2006

Hi Hugo,

Hugo Cisneiros wrote:
> Looking today at the proprietary image format about a new Wiki design, I
> realized that the design itself isn't following the "clear space" guideline
> too. Ironic.

To be fair about the PSD format wiki design mockups.... You need to show/hide
layers in that PSD to be able to view the entire design. An open format that
Photoshop can actually handle like PNG wouldn't work, right, since it's flat[1]?
The GIMP opens the PSD and is able to display these layers, no problem. Since
they were created in Adobe Photoshop (I'm assuming)... Photoshop doesn't exactly
allow you to save as or export to XCF (the GIMP's native format.)

I absolutely agree, though, that we should be using open formats whenever
possible (the 'dogfood' principle [2])!! How can we expect open formats to
flourish if *we*, of all people, don't use them?

Anyhow, I uploaded an XCF version [3] of the design. :)

~m

[1] Well ok, so Macromedia Fireworks actually has add-on layering support for
PNGs, but I'm pretty sure this isn't portable to other programs.
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_one's_own_dog_food
[3]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiElements?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Fedora_Wiki_page_design.xcf