New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sun May 28 18:52:01 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy escribió:
> Well, true, the contributor could install the GIMP and convert the
> artwork before submitting it.... this sounds simple, right? But if
> they're using a platform that supports Photoshop, they are necessarily
> running a platform where it may be very complicated to install the GIMP:
>
> - For Windows it is not one simple download, run setup, and you're
> good. You also have to install the GTK+ runtime environment *first*,
> which just by its name is pretty intimidating for non-technical users.
> In fact, it might be intimidating enough to be off-putting.

I hate to disagree with you, there are GIMP packages which include GTK
and install it before The GIMP as such is installed, much like GAIM
packages which include the GTK runtime or not, and you download accordingly.
> - For OS X it is even more complicated; you have to install fink or
> ports (for dlcompa), and you have to install X11 before you can
> install the GIMP. This is quite a bit of a PITA.
>
> There are plenty of great potential art contributors out there who may
> not necessarily be technical enough to quickly / easily figure out how
> to install the GIMP on their art development platform of choice.
>
> I guess I'm just trying to say that things could be worse - the
> artwork could be in a format that a FOSS program like the GIMP or
> inkscape couldn't even open to view. And it may not be all that easy
> for contributing artists to convert their stuff to open formats before
> submitting.
I have strong doubts of these contributor artists promoting *FOSS* tools
and OSes if they *don't* use such tools... seems just completely not
right for some reason... It would be like creating Apple artwork on a
Windows PC (or a Sun Solaris workstation, for that matter). Not that
they couldn't, but there sure are ways to produce open formats even on
such closed platforms, like GIMP selfcontained packages or Inkscape self
contained packages.

> If anybody would like to submit contributions in an open format but
> are having trouble converting their work or aren't sure where to
> start, feel free to send your stuff to me and I'll be happy to convert
> it and I'll also help you get the GIMP / whatever installed.
Maybe these should be part of the guidelines/instructions too over at
the artwork wikis? Not that helping fellow users is a bad thing, but for
others that may be in the same situation, a central reference can prove
to be more helpful for a lot of users, as opposed to help out on an
individual basis.